Monday, June 22, 2009

Wors Cup

Well the legs are hurting (a lot) today, but it was worth every minute of it.....So far the WORS racing has been amazing. Three races, three battles, and three really good courses. Don and staff have been killing it and a huge thanks to him to allow the midwests best go at it every other weekend. Speaking of good weekends...check this out.

Saturday morning Andrea and I drove the 2 hours west to Mt. Morris ready for another day in the saddle. Don yelled go and I was happy with my jump off of the line.

I then fell asleep through the next 5 minutes of the race as Ted H was riding away. It took a quick spill in the rocks to wake me up....panic mode was not what I wanted though as my rear suspension lockout cable and housing was dangling in the wind. I reached down on the grassy climb after the lake and luckily got the housing back in the stop as TJ went by me. TJ took over pace making and at the midpoin of the race it was down to 4. Jesse, Tristan, and I seemed pretty content to let TJ set the tempo as the heat increased. Starting the last lap Tristan went and got a slowly built. At the top of the climb the heat finally got to me and the legs started cramping....I couldn't go any more as I watched Jesse go around me. I recovered a little towards the end, but it was too late. 4th place. Andrea had problems with her road shoes and pedals. Hopefully her MTB shoes show this week.

After the race we cruised to Wautoma in search of a pool, pizza, and a place to sleep. We only found the pizza, and were soon headed back towards Sheboygan. It hurt to wake-up Sunday morning at 6am to drive back to the race....but there was some more racing fun to be had!

A little 'BA Summer of 69' got the blood flowing at around 7:30am on the solo drive back to Mt. Morris. Andrea decided to stay home and hang with dad for fathers day.

The racing started on foot this time around. I warned the guys I had trained earlier in the year, but it didn't work as I was 3rd or 4th to the bike. Took the first corner in 3rd behind TJ and Tristan. Played the waiting game as Tristan passed TJ on the descent and others behind crashed trying risky passes. Then I attacked on the 1 slight climb and took the lead into the final singletrack for the win.

3 hours later and a motivational phone call to Simonson had us lined up again for the short track. Short being the key word. With a mcuh shorter lap and no climb I opted for the Top Fuel for the 3rd race out of 3. I had another good jump off the start line followed by some tempo to keep Furios Fred from getting too big of a first lap gap.

The action was tight as there was really only 30 seconds of pedaling per lap. It was hard to get any significant gap. I stayed calm and kept the gaps within reason. With 2 to go I bridged up to Chris and went by him.....he jumped onto my wheel, but never had the gas to come around me. I hung on for the second win!

Tristan and I weren't quite sure who won the overall, but I guess a 1st, 1st, and 4th, is 3 points better than a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. In the end I won $5 more than Tristan and then he stole my last piece of pizza so we were even on the weekend. I still think he should name his baby Morris or Morrissa in honor of his last WORS Win before becoming a dad.


Anonymous said...

coming to superior fest this weekend?

Anonymous said...