Wednesday, November 29, 2006

WEIRD AL FLASHBACK

??? Weird


This mornings workout consisted 3 cups of Trader Joes French Roast coffee, a one hour Yoga class at Synergy, and a 20 minute run. For the first time in a long time I decided to use my IPOD. It was pretty cold in WI and the motivation was low so I figured the 80's would be a great genre to help me get through the final phase of training.

As I was finishing the run Weird AL "Eat It" started playing and the flashback hit me....

The setting...1996 somewhere in CA

Back in 1996 I was on the Rock Shox Jr Development mountain bike team....check out the old school picture....anybody recognize the two superstars who are still faster than me? Anybody recognize me?

Also on the team was Miles Jay, I'm not sure what he is up to now, but after one of the Norba in California I stayed at his house before flying home to MI. When I first walked in the house there was lots of guitars, lots of records, and lots of pictures of Weird AL. It thought it was rather strange. This was 10 years ago and I still remember it vividly. It turns out Miles Jay is the son of Stephen Jay bass guitarist for Weird AL!



Simply Amazing. When Miles' dad got home it was late, but he had some steak and we went for a sweet bike ride, with no lights, 20 minutes into the ride we went down a crazy descent and came out on the Pacific Ocean. Steve Jay stoked up the fire and cooked one of the best steaks I have eaten in my life right on the beach. The ride home was really really dark and it seemed like it took a long time. I also remember feeling as if I was facing east. It was sweet. Two weeks later 8 Weird Al tickets w/ backstage passes showed up in the mail. A week later I was at the Fowlerville Fair in MI partying backstage with AL himself! That's it...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that's Tommy D for sure in the middle, not sure of the other, kinda looks like JHK next to him but not really. you look like adam biwan.
Tristan

Anonymous said...

What happen! Now your just an old man drinking coffee & watching the big screen.
(Drankus)

Mark Savery said...

That's gotta be JHK on the second step.

Damn, that was back in the day. Never knew you were on Devo, I thought you started out on the Hayes program.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Sideburns for more than a decade. Some things just never go out of style.

Mike said...

That hair is pretty hesh....

Dano said...

I can just picture what a backstage party looked like in Fowlerville.

Ice cream and cake?

Anonymous said...

Dude, I was going to say the same thing!!! Far out man!