Saturday, August 11, 2007

Ore To Shore

2nd place in the 07 version of the Ore To Shore....Minutes before the race on the warm up I had a 3 inch nail directly in the top of my rear tire and it was clicking my frame. I had no idea what it was. After stoppiong and discovering the nail I was pretty bummed. The Stans sealed the hole, but I wasn't confident it would hold for another 48 miles. I went back to the car and Scott KJ gave me a tube. Thanks Scott. The race started and we were off. Last year I was in bad position at the bottom of the luge climb...this year I was up and over no problem with Doug Swanson and Mike Simonson. The three of us had the gap and the race was set.

























One little bobble 8 miles into the race on the power line climb was enough to let Simonson get a gap. After running a few feet I was back on my bike and Simonson was drilling it...I got by Doug and slowly bridged back to Simonson it took a while and it was painful, but I made it. Then I was attcked by a mtn lion. It was crazy. The thing flew at my from a cliff ten feet above my head. It was silent and all the sudden I was on the ground. I could feel its breath, but my helmet saved me. I remembered the Tarzan books I read a few years back and went for the jugular. After a 2 minute struggle it ran off and I was back on the bike jacked with adrenalin and started to chase again. Then there was this huge bear... Anyway that would have been cool but here is what really happened. Less than two seconds after contact Simonson was on the power and I was gone....from then on it was a 35 or 40 mile individual time trial. I would have tried harder to bridge to Mike again, but his wife kept telling me whoppers out on the course...like he wasn't even trying and he is 15 minutes ahead of you!!! At least she made me laugh out there when I was scared about being attacked by another wild animal. It was a little lonely out there, but I was happy to finish 2nd. Here I am telling the reporter from the Mining Journal about the Mtn Lion...for some reason he didn't print it in the story.




































Each ten miles Mike was putting 1 minute on me and finished around 4 minutes up. Mike Anderson was 3rd. He is the guy who I battled with in the mtb race of SuperiorBF last year. Russ Tiles finished 4th and the Tandem was a non factor with another flat. Full Results here. Sara KJ won the womens race. Good job again Sara. Here is the GPS and here is the map in motion....it screwed up a little in the beginning for some reason. For more pictures check out mqtphoto or here. Then there was the after party...but that's another story and another post for another day....yes it's true Simonson can play the drums...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brides maid........

Quiring MTB Team said...

Bri I have video on my phone of Mike beating the drums and the Mullet flopping with the rythm. Need to figure out the download and put it up on youtube or something. great job out there. Maybe if you had less hair drag it would have only been 3 mins back. Brian Mather rocks ;>)....

Mike said...

Yo man nice work! Now where's that tube you promised me???

Trish said...

Remember the advice about spicy food at the Thai House? You were right. I missed the awards because the spicy Thai was coming out just like it went in. You can say "I told you so..."