Monday, October 01, 2007

OUCH!

Feeling some pain after the weekends double effort. Andrea, Rosco, and I started bright and early Saturday morning and were on our way to the Southern Kettles. It was an awesome sunrise over the lake with low lying clouds that appeared to be a fresh blanket of snow...I tried to capture the scene, but the camera didn't do justice.





















-
-
-
-
-
-
-
2 hours later we arrived in the I have never done the Fall Color Festival before or pedaled the trails so the start was a bit confusing when they said something like red loop, half blue loop, connector, blue loop, blue loop. I thought maybe I'll just follow because I don't want to end up taking the Ice Age all the way back to Greenbush. The trail were good. Doug was on a mission and I followed in a group of 5 riders. I was caught behind a few guys in the beginning and finally made my way around them...I was going way to fast for not knowing the trail whatsoever and went down pretty hard around a left hander. It hurt so I followed Scott KJ for a while until the pain subsided and his bike stopped working. Eventually bridged a followed the train of 5 the remainder of the race...Tristan took off on the last blue lap and I chased to no avail. Then I thought for sure I took a wrong turn....I coulnd't see anybody, the guys behind me still didn't catch after I had slowed to HR 120...I flipped it to find out a minute later that I was on the right track, did another 180 and finished it off at a leisurely pace in 4th place.

Andrea took the victory in the Womens 30 miler...she was really pumped and has been killing it lately on the MTB.












We stayed the night in Madison on Saturday with Elicia. It was really low key, Andrea was blown out in a major way after the race, so we walked down the street to the Blue Star Diner had a burger and fries and went to bed. I slept horrible having to share a futon with Rosco...not cool with a snoring Boston Terrier.

Sunday:

Coffee, Coffee, Coffee, Breakfast Coffee, then it was off to WCA Cyclocross #1. Elicia busted out her first CX race and finished 2nd in the womens 3-4 race. I didn't get to talk with her after the race, but I heard rumors of AVG HR of 182 and lots of suffering. Favre thows a record breaking TD and then its off to the start line on the new XO2. Set up with 58C frame, Tubeless Hutchinson Tires, Dura Ace Crankset 38 - 46 and cassette 12-27, XTR V Brakes w/ Travel Agent, Bontrager X Lite Carbon Bar, and of course Crank Bros Egg Beaters
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The new bike cornered like a champ and the mud clearance is huge....fortunately no mud this time around.












-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The race started fast with Kyle J taking the wholeshot and I filed in behind him....the first lap was fast and my mouth was dry...Tristan took over on Lap 2 and it was like he turned on the movie Spaceballs and jumped to Ludicrous speed. I whacked my shin on the barrier amateur style...it hurt bad.


















-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The gap opened to the rest of the field...I took over on Lap 3, but towards the end it wasn't fast enought for Tristan and he drilled it again...my mouth was really dry...I took a quick swig...pulled through and saw 5 laps to go...Tristan and I worked together but the gap was closing....Jesse and Marko pounding on the Single Speeds were quickly closing the gap....Tristan was pulling and I saw the victory flash before my eyes....Tristan was slowing I was feeling good, just before the gap was closed I made my move and the perfect timing allowed my to solo in for the victory. I could keep my eyes on the chasing trio. I played it cautiously around the last couple corners and the last barrier section. The gap was about 3 seconds at the end, but enough. It was a good win before the WORS finale to boost the confidence.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

The drive home was painless, I had some great CHILI (recipe to follow soon) and almost finished the current book I am reading....Edgar Rice Burroughs - The Beasts of TARZAN #3 while in the recliner with Ice on my shin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hutchinson Tubeless on Bontrager wheels? Nice application of the Stans setup! Keep rolling these hot wheels to victory. Nice work dude,