Friday, January 25, 2008

California Dreamin' Y2K cont.














Back to the Garcia Cabin! 2,000 miles later it was back to California for Norba #1 in the year 2000 at Big Bear Lake. Parky and I loaded up in the Dodge Caravan and Karew and Big Daryl XX Saul cruised in style in Big D's Subaru. We had reserved the Garcia Cabin for 2 weeks to acclimate before the race. It was not without another "Big D moment" that we arrived safely. Big D purchased a cowboy hat for about $60 and was in love with the hat. D's hair was always done up with product, D's tan line was always perfect, his clothes always clean, his car was spotless. He was a ladies man, still is, and his cowboy hat was a big part of his swagger! On the long drive through the desert the Caravan went blowing by the Subaru. We laughed probably mooned them and kept going....













Nigel and I were surprised that the Caravan passed up the Subaru with a top speed of 62, but we wanted to get to Big Bear and start riding. We made it went for a ride and had an awesome dinner.













During dinner we were really stunned that Big D and Karew hadn't made it yet. We called to find out what was going on....I guess somewhere between Blythe and Palm Springs Big D realized his only cowboy hat was missing. In a mjor Big D moment he panicked. Stopped the car and searched to no avail. During this time the cars water pump bit the bullet and with a solid 1-2 punch Big D and Karew were done for. Nigel and I enjoyed some wine and a nice tiramasu and got a kick out of Big D's misfortunes.
Later in the week "it" happened. A night or two before the race we decided to have a campfire across the street from the Garcia house. A relaxing night before the big race to cook up some smores. Karew, Parky, myself, Big D, Skyler, Craig Manthe, Shonni Vanlandingham, and Big D's friend Andrea! Needless to say everything worked out!
















Don't I look pumped to be hooking up with a hot babe! 6 days later after the race we went to Mozarts dance club for some post race partying. We had a blast and closed the bar down. The next day Andrea was on her way back to Wisco, Nigel and Daryl went up to do a road race in Northern Cali and Karew and I headed back to Tucson. Then this happened....a picture says 1,000 words....I'll just add the setting...2:00am I-10 Yard Sale Blown Out?


















Only if I could have learned how to make money on all those yard sales I used to have?
Andrea and I traveled the rest of the cicruit together and found ourselves back in Cali for a month is September. We lived in a tent at the Mammoth Campgorund! We had so much time before the race that we took a backpacking trip to see her sister Elicia in Kings Canyon National Park.















After the 50 mile round trip my legs hurt a little, but I was not affected at all by the high elevation at Mammoth. Andrea and I did some awesome rides in Mammoth. A training race and spent some quality time at the Laundromat playing Spyhunter!Even after the lack of training and concentration I finished the season of with a solid short track result. Can anyone name the two fast pros in front of and behind me?

5 comments:

Doug Swanson said...

Frank Mapel, Brian Matter, and Steve Larsen? Would be my guess.

These stories of yours are awesome.

Sarah Lukas said...

I agree. This is so cool, and the pictures are awesome.

Anonymous said...

doug wins!

Dano said...

Dammit! I was gonna say Larson.

Keller said...

Whats up matter! When you make it out to AZ, come visit Sedonaland! Diggin the old stories. MBAA races are missin you tearin around, luckily we have TJ to chase. Hope to seeya out here.

Scott