Monday, September 28, 2009

Racin' Circles

It's been a whirlwind since I last updated. Not a spare single second in between Chequamegon, Vegas, and USGP Planet Bike Cup. I'm smashed today, but happy not to be doing a darn thing this week.
It started Monday after the long drive home from Chequamegon last Sunday. A full day of packing bikes, gluing tires, work, doing laundry and finally bed around 11pm. A 4am alarm on Tuesday had Andrea and I on our way to Vegas.

I love the desert, but Vegas is something a little above and beyond Tucson.... We arrived and already the lights, buzzers, and whistles were a little too much for me to handle after a turbulent flight. After we arrived to the hotel I unpacked the bikes and started right away with the aquaseal. A little later it was over to check out the race course. FAST!

Wednesday morning was a trip to Interbike to check out some cool things and go to some appointmetns. Wednesday afternoon was spent finishing up the wheels and making sure the bikes work.

Cross Vegas: The first Cross race of the year always hurts, but not that bad? I had a 3rd row start and wanted to move up on the prologue loop and get hooked up with a good group. I moved up, but instantly paid the price....I was above the red line and couldn't recover in the dry heat of the desert. One guy at a time would pass me and there was nothing I could do...I suffered bad for an entire hour and evenutally finished up with my left leg fully cramped in 26th position.

Back to the hotel by 12:30am, pack the bikes until 1:00am, shower, eat, and maybe to bed by 2:30am for a 6:30am alarm and back on the plane. Home by 5:00pm and straight to the bike shop to unpack bikes and finish gluing my last 3 wheels for USGP.

Friday was the last of the Aquaseal and a quick 45 min ride before work.


I had a second row call up and I was top 6 going through corner number 1.....eventually settled in a group with Troy, Marko, Tristan, and Ryan Knapp to finish 13th.


Same call up, same good start...with the leaders the enite first lap until Troy and I ran the ride up and were gapped off....Tristan came flying by and Chris Jones crashed in front of me and opened a gap....settled with Troy Marko Chris and 2 Giant Strawberry dudes...the group split and I was in the back half....finished 14th after almost crashing into Troy on the pavement with 1 to go.

Overall...happy with USGP weekend. Finishing top 15 without feeling good and being blown out is respectable. Now its time to switch the training from mtb to cross!


Tim said...

It was great watching you suffer. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for visiting tms said...