Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Another week at camp!

From camp in PA to camp in the UP!  I truly am living the dream.  And this time it was even better to be able to give back and share my experiences with some up and coming rippers!

Jr. Mtb Camp at Michigan Tech University is now in its 4th year.  This year we had 21 JR's from 4 states!  I am so happy that the camp is growing and more and more young riders get to experience mountain biking and the amazing trails the UP has to offer.  We had a great camp.  2 rides per day, lectures from NCAA coaches, Professional Cyclists, Physiology Dr's, Trek Demo Day, and even a race.

Yes we were non stop action.  A normal day was breakfast in the cafeteria at 8am then riding at 9am.  Lunch at 12:00. Lecture at 1:30 - 3:00 and then PM ride from 3:30 - 5:30 dinner at 6:00 back in the cafeteria and then another evening activity depending on the day.  I think all the JR's had a blast and I'm hoping to see them all back next year!




Yes I did mention a race.  The Keewenaw Chain Drive also takes place the same weekend as camp giving the riders an opportunity to test out their new knowledge and skills.  We had tons of our athletes on the podium!  Luckily for me the coaches got to race too.

Pete and I post race!  Pete attended Camp the first year and now he is battling it out for the podium!



















The Chain Drive is a deceptively hard race.  Lots and lots of techie singletrack and a point to point style that features a mostly uphill race course.  With a little weather the night before the race the trails were a little heavy on race day.  Making it harder than the norm.


I was able to take another W in front of all the campers....an awesome feeling.  I scoped out the river crossing with 3 miles to go on our pre-ride and told the campers this was a pivotal spot....it turned out I was right and thats where I made my winning move!


Now its time to get back to some training...I feel like I haven't done a training ride in a month!

No comments: