Friday, May 17, 2013

Epic

Epic - It's a word that shouldn't be used lightly, but with a trip to Transylvania coming up I thought it might be appropriate.

Wisconsin!  After a week off  to recover from the Epic Events Whiskey 50 and epic drive home, it was time to start training again.  It is definitely different training in WI compared to AZ.  In Wisconsin you have to pedal the entire ride & sometimes that feels epic!  In AZ or CA there are some descents where you might not be able to pedal full speed ahead.  3 or 4 hours of pedaling hurt me that first week back, but now I'm back into the routine of cranking out the base miles.  I am really lucky to be able to go out for long road rides and see very few cars.  The scenery is awesome this time of year also.  Green grass, blue skies, blooming flowers and all sorts of babies...yesterdays ride I saw baby buffalo, baby geese, baby goats and baby cows!  Pretty cool.


So this year I have decided to mix things up a little more.  Have a little more fun which means doing some different races.  Arby's slogan from a few years back...Different Is Good!  I have always loved Arbyb's in fact I might have to get one today...its been a while!  Anyway...along with Whiskey 50 and possibly MTB Nationals I have decided to race the Transylvania Epic!  I am pumped at the new challenges it will bring.  Closest thing I've done to a mtb stage race would have to be Tour of the Gila...that was over 10 years ago.

I hear their are some rocks out their in PA and some mud so when it started raining and hailing last weekend I though it would be a good idea to go get some practice on some slippery rocks.  Andrea and I teamed up to do the first WEMS race of the year out in Greenbush.  We had a blast racing tag team and had an epic battle with Bill Street and Brian Schwaller.  They won, but we all had fun.  It was perfect training for TSE and the more time on the SF100 29er the better for me.  Can't wait for PA.  Stay tuned for lots of updates, but first WORS #1 this weekend at IOLA!
Last time in raced in PA!  Not too shabby.

It's been a while, but I still remember the pain of racing in PA!




No comments: