Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thank goodness!


Thanks to HED Cycling & Trek Bicycles
I'm not really sure what this mustache thing is all about....I think I'd look pretty hideous in a mustache so I better stick with the traditional theme of November = Thanksgiving.  So this month I'm going to dig a little deeper and really let you know about the equipment I'm racing, the sponsors who help me get to the races, and the people who support me.

Today I'm going to start with the bike & the wheels....maybe the most critical part of the equation.

The XO2 before my first trip to Belgium in 2008
This year I changed things up a bit and went back to a Trek bike.  Now that Trek is using their very well know OCLV / Madone technology in a carbon cross bike I had to give it a try.  At about the half way point in the season I'll tell you the Cronus CX doesn't dissapoint.  The improvements from the XO2 that I was riding my first season in Belgium include the carbon frame, the E2 tapered headtube, and the BB90.  This makes the bike lighter, stiffer, and gets rid of the dreaded brake chatter that so many of us have experienced on the older cross bikes.  For my details on the new and improved bike check out http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/cyclocross/cronus_cx/cronus_cx_ultimate/#
The NEW CRONUS w/ E2 & BB90

Most noticable of the new features is the BB90.  This bike accelerates!  My favorite new feature is the internal cable routing...its a clean look and I hate being my own mechanic.  The internal routing keeps the cables working like day 1 for a long time!

Next up on the list is HED Wheels!  They definately add to the ability for the bike to accelerate.  For the dry fast races I have Dugast Typhoon tires mounted up the the HED Stinger 5's, a full carbon tubular, with a 50mm deep rim w/ an extra wide raised rim bed so you are guaranteed a good glue job.  The wheels are light and fast.  This past weekend at the USGP in Louisville I was rocketing down the start stretch with a full blown cross tailwind thinking to my self these wheels rule!  They also sliced through the sand like nobody's business.  Depending on the course I also have some Stingers 5's front wheels mounted up with a slightly more aggresive front tire...the FMB Grippo.  I have actually raced that set up more ofter than not.  Pretty awesome that HED sent out 2 extra front wheels....awesome sponsors rule!
AL Ardennes SL from HED = stopping power!

My favorite part about my new partnership with HED Cycling though is, when the going gets tough and cross gets muddy, knowing that I have a new weapon.  The HED Ardennes tubular.  These wheels actually stop in the mud!  Imagine that....They are light enough, they are stiff enough, and when it gets really nasty and when you really need to rely on your brakes to go as fast as possible you know the wheels will stop.  I've done two nasty muddy races this year and with Jingle Cross on the horizon I know the Ardennes will come in handy.  I have the Dugast Rhyno's mounted up to two sets of the best aluminum wheels I have ever used.  They are way less expensive than carbon, they are light, and they really could be considered a great all around wheel for everyone to use in even the fast dry races.  Check them out if you get a chance.

That's all for today so again a huge THANKS to Trek Bicycles and HED Cycling...check back soon for the rest of the details on the bike!

No comments: