Monday, January 05, 2009

Do I already miss Belgium?

I really miss the Radio Donna(constant techno)!
I really miss the Ham & Chees Sandwiches(no lettuce, mustard, or mayo)!
I really miss Shriver and Wells snoring all night long(really loud)....

But I'm really happy to be back home! It was a brutal day of travel. Starting with waking up in Belgium at 5:30am. A ride to the airport with Herman the ex-cop/ massage therapist....this part was all good....but then....

The bike case weighed more than 32 kilos. Isn't that why a pay for a bike? I figured no big deal....take out the chocolate, the leffe, the boots, and the spare parts. Nope still too heavy. Then I got pissed. I had to take off the brakes, handlebars, seatpost collars, basically everything I could with a multi-tool, all while the lady played dumb like she couldn't speak english. I knew this was only a few extra pounds and not the 15 kilos that I needed out of the bike case. So when I put the case back on the scale I made sure 2 of the 4 wheels were hanging off. 34 kilos close enough. Hoftferdoma! I left covered in grease, belgian cow crap, and sweating. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled.

The 8 hour flight followed by the 8 hour layover in NJ was brutal after starting off like that.....at least I got to order a cheeseburger w/ mushroom & bacon, along with chicken wings & 7 or 8 coca-colas, and eat & drink while watching 2 NFL playoff games (welcome back to America!!!).

I got 5 hours sleep last night and I'm pretty blown out. I just stopped by the shop to throw the bikes back together and make sure they were not damaged(everything seems good, just need all new cables). Time to go run some errands and then hang with Andrea & Rosco and cook up some homemade pizza and watch a movie on the big screen!

6 comments:

Kurt said...

Nice job over there, man. It was great to see you holding your own. Congrats on a great season, and good luck making it back for Worlds!

Mimi said...

Nice touch--to have it weighed with the wheels hanging off the scale. I'll have to pass that trick on to JB.

MTBR said...

Welcome home. I suppose you may want to rid of those heavy wheels. It just so happens I'm in the market. Seriously, Good Job!

NMCC said...

You are a rock star stud!

See you at Iceman!

-Chad

packfill said...

nice job over there brian. thanks for keeping me in the loop

-tom t

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!